By Kamela Easlic
Since becoming the director of the Clinchfield Senior Adult Center, I have spoken to numerous seniors (members and non-members) to find out what they like about the center and things they would like to change including activities they would like to see offered. The feedback has been very helpful and makes me want to become a senior so I can participate too!
While we cannot incorporate all ideas at once, we have been busy adding new opportunities for participation monthly including some evening programs to meet the requests of those who cannot attend the center during daytime hours. We also are challenged to offer some of the new programs due to the need experienced instructors and program facilitators.
In order to provide more variety in programming, we are looking for instructors to teach/lead workshops, programs and activities in the areas of arts, crafts, dance, computers, group exercise, foreign language, health and education. If you or someone you know has knowledge to share in one or more of these areas, please call to discuss.
Check out these May programs:
• Friday, May 13, from 9 a.m. to noon. If you are a Crestpoint health plan participant and need help finding a new plan, sign up for an enrollment event at the center. Volunteers with FTAAAD’s SHIP program will be on site to assist. State Farm will also be here to assist with questions about Medicare Supplement Plans. Please call for an appointment.
• Also on Friday, May 13, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., dance the night away to the sounds of Curt Mathson. Enjoy 1950s, 1960s and Country music and socializing with friends. Bring a snack to share and the drinks will be provided by the center. Cost is $6.
• Thursday, May 19, at 6 p.m. The 3rd Annual CSAC Fashion Show and Reception will showcase mature ladies who celebrate life and individual style. Join us in support of the models and enjoy a reception afterwards. Cost is $3 and tickets can be picked up at the center, Coi’s Closet, Chips, Appalachia Thrift or from one of the models or Melissa Shell, Mary Kay consultant.
• Tuesday, May 24, at 8 a.m., UCMH will provide fasting blood work including a comprehensive panel for $35, PSA for $17, and both panels for $47. Pay directly to UCMH on the day of the labs.
• Friday, May 27, 11:30 to 1:30 p.m. Enjoy a food, music, and friends for a cookout complete with homemade cobblers and ice cream for dessert. Before the fun, we will take time to remember our American Heroes who died to defend our freedoms with a ceremony to announce the names of loved ones we have lost to war. Wear red, white and blue. Please pre register by calling the center by Wednesday, May 25. Cost is $3 per person.
If you would like to receive the monthly newsletter or for additional information, call the senior center at 743-5111 or visit the center at 220 Union Street. Hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.