Phillip Buster Edwards, age 75, of Dalton, GA., passed away Friday, January 1, 2016, at Erlanger Medical Center
He was preceded in death by his parents, Richard Sr. and Lillian Edwards, brothers, Richard Edwards, Jr., Kenneth Edwards and Jim Edwards; sisters, Beatrice Price, Vivian Brock, Leona Jackson, Carmel Freeman; step-son James Cantrell.
He was a member of Good News Baptist Church.
He is survived by his loving wife, Geneva Edwards; a daughter, Amanda Edwards of Rome, GA., and her husband Leon Crowder and step-daughter Susan Crowder; step-son and wife, Bruce and Joyce Cantrell; and sisters, Evelyn Bates of Johnson City, TN., Wanda Padgett of Florida, and Fannie Garland of Erwin, TN.; several grandchildren and great-grandchildren also survive.
Mr. Edwards had several football awards:
(1) First team all-state senior year 1958
(2) All big-five sophomore, junior and senior years (3 years)
(3) Scored 36 points in 1956 in one game (sophomore) and 38 points in a game in 1958 (senior)
(4) Leading (top-most) scorer in State of TN. as sophomore and senior
(5) Scored 396 career high for Erwin High
(6) Tailback 1956-1958 for Coach Al Rotella
The funeral service will be held Monday, January 4, 2016, at 12:00 p.m. at the Good News Baptist Church with Rev. Clay Sutton and Rev. Duane Hamby officiating.
Burial will be at the United Memorial Gardens.
The family will receive friends at the funeral home on Sunday, January 3, 2016, from 5:00 until 9:00 p.m.
You may leave the family a message on the tribute wall at www.julianpeeples.com
Funeral arrangements are by Julian Peeples Funeral Home, Pleasant Grove Chapel, Dalton, GA. For more information, call 706-259-7455.