Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer


Marian J. Whitehurst, age 91, of 207 Old Farm Road, Erwin, died Tuesday, Feb. 8, 2011, at Lakebridge Health Care Center, Johnson City.
Mrs. Whitehurst was a native of Washington, Ga., and a daughter of the late B.H. and Ellen Johnson. She lived in Perry, Ga., from 1952 until 2001, where she worked as a secretary and later as a bookkeeper for the Houston County School System.
She was a member of Perry United Methodist Church, the Howell Cobb Sunday School Class, and the United Methodist Women, serving in various offices. She was also a member of the Sorelle Club in Perry, Ga.
After moving to Erwin in February 2001, she became a member of Centenary United Methodist Church, where she was also a member of the Garland Sunday School Class and the Hope Circle. She was a member of the Get Acquainted Club, Wednesday Club, and enjoyed playing Bridge at the Clinchfield Senior Adult Center.
Mrs. Whitehurst was also a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, both in Perry, Ga., and in Erwin.
Survivors include her husband, W.A. “Pete” Whitehurst of Erwin; son, W. Ashley Whitehurst Jr. and wife, Trudy, of Erwin; daughter, Marian Athon and husband, Gene, of Erwin; sister, Mary McKinney and husband, P.H., of Fayetteville, Ga; grandchildren, Marianna Whitehurst of Atlanta, Billy Whitehurst and wife, Marci, of Belgrade, Mont., Whit Whitehurst and wife, Candace, of Johnson City, Andy Athon and wife, Valarie, of Pearland, Texas, and Todd Athon and wife, Allison, of Johnson City; great-grandchildren, Ashley Whitehurst, Maggie Whitehurst, Katie Whitehurst, Levi Whitehurst and Sara Athon.
A Celebration of Life Service was held Thursday, Feb. 10, at noon at Centenary United Methodist Church. The Rev. Robert Layell officiated. The family attended a private graveside service.
Memorial donations may be made to either Centenary United Methodist Church, 203 N. Elm Ave., Erwin, TN 37650 or Perry United Methodist Church, 1002 Carroll St., Perry, GA 31069.
Valley Funeral Home was in charge.