Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer

Two plead in 2013 home invasion

Two of the men responsible for the home invasion that occurred on Pleasant Hill Drive in the Town of Unicoi on Dec. 9, 2013, pleaded guilty to several charges during an appearance in Unicoi County Criminal Court on Monday, Dec. 8.
According to Assistant District Attorney Ryan Curtis, Anthony James Davis pleaded guilty to kidnapping, aggravated burglary and assault for his role in the home invasion.
The other defendant, Cory William Livesay, pleaded guilty to kidnapping, aggravated burglary and assault for his role in the home invasion.
Regarding the home invasion, Sheriff Mike Hensley previously said the female victim, Wanda Vance, arrived home and “while raising the garage door she heard someone running down the driveway and grabbed her and took her inside the residence and sat her down and taped her to a chair.”
While Vance was tied up, two male subjects wearing ski masks, demanded she give them the combination to a safe located in the home. The two male subjects were identified as Livesay and Davis.
“One of the subjects walked directly into the bedroom where the safe was located,” Hensley said. “She told the intruders that she didn’t have the combination to the safe; it was her husband’s safe and she didn’t have the combination to it.”
Hensley said the intruders did not believe the victim.
“One of the guys kept saying, ‘Come on, now. You know the combination to the safe.’ She told them she did not,” Hensley described. “That is when he got belligerent and said that when her husband came home they would kill him if she didn’t give them the combination to the safe. She kept pleading with them and telling that she did not have the combination.”
Hensley previously said the intruders were in the house for approximately 10 minutes before leaving the scene.
Vance managed to untie herself and call law enforcement using her mobile phone.
Livesay and Davis were indicted by a Unicoi County grand jury in March on one count each of aggravated burglary, aggravated kidnapping and assault.
• • •
The Erwin Record previously reported that law enforcement officials connected the home invasion case to an October 2013 burglary which occurred at the Maple Grove restaurant owned by Vance and her husband.
Davis pleaded guilty on Monday to the charges of theft over $1,000 and vandalism over $1,000 for his role in the burglary at Maple Grove, according to Curtis.
• • •
Curtis also said that Livesay pleaded guilty “to a number of thefts” which occurred in Washington County.
“One of those was $1,000,” Curtis added. “The others were misdemeanors.”
• • •
On Monday, both Livesay and Davis were sentenced to serve nine years in jail in a Tennessee Department of Corrections facility.
“The state will take them and process them,” Curtis said.
Livesay received an additional two years of supervision, according to Curtis.
“His total sentence was 11 years,” Curtis added. “At the end of his nine years, the last two are supervised probation for that theft in Washington County.”
Had Davis and Livesay not pleaded on Monday, they would have gone to trial the following day.