Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer

Sheriff: 'Ongoing feud' leads to shooting

What Sheriff Mike Hensley described as an “ongoing feud” reportedly led one man to shoot another on Sneyd Lane in Limestone Cove shortly after 5 p.m. on Wednesday, June 24.
An affidavit of complaint filed by the Unicoi County Sheriff’s Department states that officers were dispatched to 238 Sneyd Lane in response to a reported shooting. When Deputy Joshua Johnson arrived at the scene he reportedly found a white male kneeling in front of 234 Sneyd Lane with his hands on his head. According to his report, Johnson asked the man, who was later identified as Jerry R. Jones, 54, 234 Sneyd Lane, if he was the shooter.
“… he responded, ‘yes, yes I am’,” Johnson’s reports states. “I then told the suspect he was detained and patted him down to make sure there were no weapons on his person for officer safety and placed him in the back of my patrol so that first responders could render aid to the victim who was at his residence.”
Officers also made contact with the victim, Norman White, 51, who had a gunshot wound to his right hand.
“According to (White), witness and defendant statements, Mr. White had walked down the road to his neighbors’ residence at 234 Sneyd Lane to get his dog,” the affidavit states. “While standing in the road in front of his neighbors’ residence, (White) and (Jones) began arguing. According to a statement from (Jones), (Jones) ‘snapped’ and went into his residence and came out with a .22 caliber semiautomatic handgun and began firing at Mr. White.
“Witnesses stated that the defendant fired three or four times at (White),” the affidavit continues. “The victim was struck once in the hand as he threw up his hands in front of his face in attempt to protect himself from the gunfire. Three .22 caliber slugs were recovered at the scene.”
Johnson’s report states that officers were voluntarily led by Jones’ wife to the location of the firearm reportedly used by White in the shooting in the suspect’s house.
Hensley said following his arrest Jones confessed to the shooting. He was transported to the Unicoi County jail without incident. Jones was charged with attempted second degree murder.
According to court officials, Jones is being held in jail on a $75,000 bond and has been appointed a public defender. He is scheduled to appear in court again on July 16.