Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer

House Call: Items from longtime local doctor's practice return home

Recently, Ann Woodward Krause, of Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, made an interesting discovery which led her to the Unicoi County Heritage Museum in Erwin.
Krause, originally from Kingsport, recently found some items that belonged to her late grandfather, Dr. William Tilson Woodward, in her mother’s home.
Krause found tools, vials and other instruments that any practicing medical doctor would have needed between 1910 and 1950.
Woodward was a well-known physician in the community. He lived at 224 First St.
By the time of his death, Woodward had practiced medicine in Unicoi County for 50 years and was active on the medical staff of Davidson County Hospital in Nashville for five years before his retirement in 1956.
Krause said she knew that she had to bring the items she found back to her grandfather’s former home in Unicoi County. So, she packed her bags and drove to Unicoi County from her home in Canada.
Krause’s items will be on display in the Unicoi County Heritage Museum during the facility’s next open season, which begins in the spring.
Woodward was a native of Buncombe County, N.C., and had resided in Erwin since 1909. He graduated from Mars Hill College and the University of Tennessee and received his medical degree at the University of North Carolina.
Woodward completed post-graduate work at New York University and practiced medicine in Erwin and Unicoi County for more than half a century following his graduation.
Woodward was also a member of Erwin Centennial Lodge No. 491, and was a 32nd-degree Mason and Shriner. He belonged to Kerbela Temple of Knoxville and served as worshipful master of the Erwin lodge.
Woodward was also one of the oldest members of First Baptist Church of Erwin and past member of the board of deacons.