Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer

Blaze destroys home

A large fire in the Town of Unicoi, the evening of Thursday, Nov. 13, resulted in the total loss of a two-story home.
According to Unicoi County Sheriff Mike Hensley, emergency officials were called to the scene on Marbleton Road behind the Buffalo Valley Golf Course around 8 p.m. By the time firefighters arrived, the house was 75 percent destroyed according to Unicoi Volunteer Fire Department Chief Robert Adams. Only a single part of the first floor remained standing. The fire was contained shortly after their arrival.
Hensley said that the fire likely started with an electric heater before spreading to a nearby propane tank, resulting in a massive explosion.
“The heat off of the house ignited a nearby propane tank,” said Hensley.
The fire spread quickly, but there were no injuries reported. The homeowner, who was the only person present at the residence at the time of the fire, was able to evacuate safely prior to the explosion. Adams said that approximately 10,000 gallons of water were used and 14 firefighters were on scene.
The Unicoi Volunteer Fire Department and Limestone Cove Volunteer Fire Department responded to the fire, as did MedicOne and the Unicoi County Sheriff’s Department.
Erwin Utilities was also on scene with a boom truck to cut power to the residence.