From Staff Reports
A Town of Unicoi tradition returns this weekend.
The 15th Annual Wayne Scott Strawberry Festival will be held on Saturday, May 20, on the grounds of Unicoi Elementary School from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Enjoy delicious strawberries from Scotts Farms, along with great local food vendors, live music for everyone’s taste, a Miss Strawberry Festival pageant, a Strawberry Recipe Contest, inflatables, kid’s games, a corn hole tournament and handmade craft vendors.
To reach the fairgrounds take Exit 32 off Interstate 26 and follow the signs.
The festival event schedule is as follows:
• 10-10:05 a.m. – Opening Ceremonies
• 10 a.m. – Cornhole Tournament
• 10:05-11:05 a.m. – Miss and Mr. Strawberry Festival Pageant
• 11:05-11:30 a.m. – Gay Whitt School of Dance
• 11 a.m. to Noon – Recipe Contest
• 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. – North Ridge Community Church Band
• Noon to 12:30 p.m. – Cake Walk
• 12:30 p.m. – Recipe Contest Winners Announced
• 1-2 p.m. – Bluegrass Outlaws
• 2:30-3:30 p.m. – Boots on the Ground
• 3:30-4 p.m. – Cake Walk
• 4-5 p.m. – Dreamcatcher
Before the festival officially kicks off, the annual Strawberry Festival Parade will begin at 9 a.m. on Saturday. The parade route will run from Unicoi Funeral Home and proceed down Unicoi Drive and end at Unicoi Elementary School on Massachusetts Avenue.
“Barney Fife” will be the parade’s grand marshall this year.
Jericho Shrine, pageant winners, Unicoi County High School ROTC, Tennessee Division of Forestry, Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, Johnson City Twirlettes, vintage vehicles, antique tractors, fire and rescue, and Mary the Town Cow, plus many others will be in this year’s lineup.
For more information, about the 15th Annual Wayne Scott Strawberry Festival, call. 735-0517 or visit www.facebook.com/townofunicoitn.